Hip-hop artist Omar Offendum joins Dr. Maher Hathout for an intensely personal conversation about the meaning of manhood, and what it takes to be a strong, pious, and courageous man in this day and age.
More about our guest
Omar Offendum is a Syrian-American Hip-Hop artist – born in Saudi Arabia, raised in Washington DC and living in Los Angeles. He has been featured on several major news outlets (Aljazeera / PBS / LA Times / Rolling Stone / The European), toured the world to promote his ground-breaking music, helped raise thousands of dollars for various humanitarian relief organizations, lectured at a number of prestigious academic institutions, and most recently been involved in creating several critically-acclaimed songs about the popular democratic uprisings throughout the Middle East & North Africa. He is currently hard at work on several new projects while touring to promote his solo release ‘SyrianamericanA‘.
- You can check out Omar Offendum’s website, and buy his music on iTunes.
- LA Times article: “Omar Offendum’s War of Words“
- Vice.com article: Beats, Rhymes, and Death – Hip-Hop in Syria is Seriously Dangerous Business
References made in this episode
- Who spend [in His way] in time of plenty and in time of hardship, and hold in check their anger, and pardon their fellow-men because God loves the doers of good. (Quran 3:134 — translation by Muhammad Asad)
- Men shall take full care of women with the bounties which God has bestowed more abundantly on the former than on the latter, and with what they may spend out of their possessions. And the righteous women are the truly devout ones, who guard the intimacy which God has [ordained to be] guarded. And as for those women whose ill-will you have reason to fear, admonish them [first]; then leave them alone in bed; then beat them; and if thereupon they pay you heed, do not seek to harm them. Behold, God is indeed most high, great. (Quran 4:34 — translation by Muhammad Asad)
- Hadith on the most deserving of our best treatment:
Abu Hurairah reported that a person came to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and asked: “Who among people is the most deserving of my fine treatment?” The Prophet replied: “Your mother.” The man then asked, “Who next?” The Prophet replied: “Your mother.” The man asked again: “Who next?” The Prophet said again, “Your mother.” The man again asked, “Then who?” The Prophet said: “Your father.” [Sahih Bukhari]
Click here to play the episode.
You can also right click on the link above
and choose “Save As” to download the audio file.